What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Alexander Kapps alex.kapps at web.de
Thu Nov 24 18:18:44 EST 2011

On 24.11.2011 22:22, W. eWatson wrote:
> Whoops, I thought I was replying to Matt Meyers just above you.

Above who? As said by somebody already, most people use a
mail-client (Thunderbird/Outlook) or a Usenet client to read this
forum. Google Groups is (In My Opinion at least) just crap (and
should be blocked/forbidden. It's *the* one spam sender already)
Please always post enough context,

Now, we are talking about Python 3.2.* on Win7, correct? I only have
Win7 32bit in a VBox VM, but still.

Please paste the following into a "python.reg", file, then
right-click on that file and choose the fist option (the one wihch
is in bold font, something like install/insert/insert or however
it's called in your language. In my German versin it's called
"Zusammenführen")

Do you get an "Edit with IDLE" then?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File]
@="Python File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Python32\\DLLs\\py.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command]
@="\"C:\\Python32\\pythonw.exe\"
\"C:\\Python32\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw\" -e \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Python32\\python.exe\" \"%1\" %*"