What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

MaxTheMouse maxthemouse at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:31:56 EST 2011

On Nov 24, 10:49 pm, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2011 00:16:06 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
> > As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
> > chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
> > doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
> > due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
> > his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.

I guess I will put in my 2 cents. I installed EPD from Enthought on 64
bit Win 7 Enterprise. Both 32 bit and 64 versions resulted in having
"Edit with Idle" when I right-click on a file. I don't have system
administration privileges on this machine so I have no idea how the
installer did it.

Cheers,
Adam