Defining a new base-type in Python based off Hexavigesimal

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:26:53 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good evening,
>>
>> I have defined a new numbering structure for certain mathematical advantages.
>>
>> How do I implement this in Python, or would I be better off writing
>> this in C or C++?
>>
>> Ultra concise definition: http://i42.tinypic.com/af7w4h.png
>> LaTeX source: http://pastebin.tlhiv.org/Kf6jPRkI
>>
>> Thanks for all suggestions,
>
> So if I am understanding your definition correctly your hexavigesimals
> are ordered like this?
>
> 0, 1, ..., 9, A, B, ..., P,
>
> 0A, 0B, ..., 0P,
> 1A, 1B, ..., 1P,
> ...,
> 9A, 9B, ..., 9P,
>
> A0, A1, ..., A9,
> B0, B1, ..., B9,
> ...,
> P0, P1, ..., P9
>
> And that's it, since your constraints preclude anything with more than 2 digits?

To put it simply:

I want a hexavigesimal of length n where each element contains at
least one letter {A, B, ..., P} and one number {0, 1, 2, ... }.
(unless n is less than 2, in which case only one of those constraints
need to be met)

and I want addition only for incrementing the element.

Why do I want all this I hear you ask? - For use as a
unique-identifier. I want a unique-ID of size 3. (3 positions, i.e.
P0A)

Any suggestions on how to implement this in python would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alec Taylor