lower-case names for builtin types

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:41:57 EDT 2011

Anyone know the story behind the lower-case names for the
non-exception built-in types (like list and type)?  I am guessing that
they were originally factory functions that, at some point, graduated
to full types; and the names were kept lower-case for backward
compatibility.

However, if we were to consider making a change for Python 4, I am not
sure how I feel about Int("5") over int("5").  Maybe it would be
Integer("5").

Regardless, perhaps the type names are still lower-case for some other
valid reason.  If so, I would love to know what that is.  Is there any
merit to having lower-cased class names?

-eric