lower-case names for builtin types

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 08:25:19 EDT 2011

On Oct 1, 10:41 pm, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurren... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know the story behind the lower-case names for the
> non-exception built-in types (like list and type)?  I am guessing that
> they were originally factory functions that, at some point, graduated
> to full types; and the names were kept lower-case for backward
> compatibility.

Or it could be that they wanted to hoard all the good generic variable
names!

> However, if we were to consider making a change for Python 4, I am not
> sure how I feel about Int("5") over int("5").  Maybe it would be
> Integer("5").

Yes!

Some folks get all huffy about this subject because they get SO
attached to built in functions. What's so weird about calling a
function that THEN calls a constructor as opposed to just calling the
constructor directly? Seems like unnecessary overhead to me.