Is it possible to create C-style "main" function in Python? (for teaching purposes)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 4 17:45:55 EDT 2011

Westley Martínez <anikom15 at gmail.com> writes:

> Boiler plate is silly.  Let the students figure out stuff themselves.

That argues directly against the Primacy effect mentioned earlier
<URL:https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Principles_of_learning#Primacy>
<URL:https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Serial_position_effect>,
which is demonstrated by much scientific evidence. What scientific
evidence do you have to argue against it?

> The students need to know why global variables in functions is
> unwieldly, not just not use them because it's cool.

If you say so. But why not show them the traps after *first* teaching
them the recommended way to do it?

> When I taught myself Python I quickly realized global variables were
> unwieldly and usually impractical after using them.

That's no argument at all against how to teach Python in a
teacher-student relationship.

--
 \        “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you |
  `\     have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither |