recommend a graphics library for plotting by the pixel?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Oct 5 09:29:38 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-04, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

>      If this is strictly for 2D pixel graphics, I recommend using PyGame
> (aka SDL).  Why do you not think it's the way to go?  It was built for
> this type of thing.

I only know PyGame because we did an exercise in recreating the old
breakout game and messing around with it at a local Python group.

I was under the mistaken impression from that exercise that you have
to maintain a set of all the objects on the screen and redraw them all
every time through the loop that ends with pygame.display.flip() ---
*but* I now see that the loop starts with these:

    clock.tick(tick_rate)
    screen.fill((0,0,0))
    # comes from screen = pygame.display.set_mode((screen_width,screen_height))
    # before the loop

and that I was then deleting hit bricks, calculating the new positions
of the balls, and then redrawing everything that was left on the
secondary screen because things were moving around and disappearing.

I guess if I don't clear the screen at the beginning of the loop but
just blit pixels onto it, when I call display.flip(), it will add the
new blittings to what was already there?  If that's true, this will be
much easier than I thought.

The only buttons I have in mind are "pause", "step", "go", and "quit",
and I can just as easily do those with keypresses.