Convenient filtering in for cycles

Stefano Maggiolo s.maggiolo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:05:00 EDT 2011

Dear Ian,

thank you for you kind response. I was pretty confident the issue had
already been discussed, but I was unable to look it up.

I suppose your "filter" syntax is the best given the options (I always
forget about map and filter...) and definitely I see that the work
needed to add such a feature is hardly worth the convenience.

Still, I think it is sad that generators/list comprehensions and for
cycles do not share the same syntax. Unfortunately, this example from
one of your links convinces that anyway it is too late:

(x for x in (l1 if c else l2)) # valid
(x for x in l1 if c else l2) # SyntaxError
for x in l1 if c else l2 # valid

Cheers,
Stefano