GUIs - A Modest Proposal

g4b g4b.org at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:19:40 EDT 2011

On the subject of the gui discussion mentioned here last year, which you get lead to if you read around in the pyjamas docs, I have to admit, since I know both development types (gwt, wx, qt) and (django, jquery), I have to state the fact, that pyjamas should also consider bonding with native javascript library developments.

Excuse me if I accidentaly go a bit off track, but I guessed, I might bring in my thoughts (but I hope, not to get emotional responses which made this thread a bit hard to follow in the end)

The interchange between fixed sized GUI applications and browsing technology as a whole could for example get very interesting for django development, if javascript operated functions would be taken over by native python.

I was just looking at pyquery, a python implementation of jquery, which could easily backbone jquery itself on the python end.

Now this is not pyjamas' task, but the pyjs compiler could be used, so that jquery code could be written for both languages. Since jquery DOM interfacing is way easier, and hot fixes can be made by javascript development teams, GUI elements of jquery libraries could be integrated into the application.

While the functionality of the UI therefore still is GUI based in terms of fixed applications, like pyjamas desktop, concurrent efforts could take place from the so called "web-development" gui layouts. On that front, a lot of talented coders exist in younger generations, which would have the ability to develop the web frontend in closer relation to the web-designers, mainting the key issues for the world-wide-web: design, speed and small loading time.

Long story short: if you could write jquery in python which actually compiles into jquery in javascript, and even runs on python itself, you could deploy widgets natively from python in django, and dont have to leave python to improve webapplications with its native strengths.

You can free yourself up pretty soon from having too much problems with ui. the designer can do that. You focus on datasets, server-client-api, or you can expose one of your pyjamas widgets as jquery plugin integrating validation of data server and clientside.

You can still develop a control application or other integrated software parts natively with pyjamas desktop, knowing the web uses correct code.

Of course that depends on how much overhead pyjamas libraries have if you only take a piece of it out, like a richtext element or a fully bloated editor, but even then, internally you load the app anyway up front, externally the user transitions from being a human guest to being a system user only in certain occasions.

Any thoughts?