shipping python

Kristen J. Webb kwebb at teradactyl.com
Tue Oct 11 19:04:45 EDT 2011

I am new to python coming from the C/shell side.
We have been experimenting with some code
samples and now I'm looking at some command line
argument processing.  I find

getopt older
optparse new in 2.3
argparse new in 2.7

I search around on some of my client systems and
find lots of people in the 2.4 - 2.6 range.

After some more digging I see that I can
easy_install argparse on my development system.

My question is will I be able to ship this
to a customer?  Can I create .pyc files so
that the customer does not have to install the argparse
module?

If not, and I want to go back into the 2.3+ range,
should I just use optparse?

I guess what I am asking here is are there any
guidelines/recommendations for shipping python
programs to customers?

Thanks in advance,
Kris
--