Language Enhancement Idea to help with multi-processing (your opinions please)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 13 22:16:37 EDT 2011

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> I was wondering if there could be an advantage to add another control
> flow statement.
> For the purpose of this writing let's say "ooo" which stands for 'out of
> order'.
[...]
> What I would expect to happen that all statements within the ooo block
> may be executed out
> of order. The block itself waits till all statements are returned before
> continuing.

Why do you think this needs to be a language statement?

You can have that functionality *right now*, without waiting for a syntax
update, by use of the multiprocessing module, or a third party module.

http://docs.python.org/library/multiprocessing.html
http://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing

There's no need for forcing language changes on everyone, whether they need
it or not, for features that can easily be implemented as library code.

--
Steven