I am a newbie for python and try to understand class Inheritance.

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Sat Oct 15 03:04:13 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM,  <aaabbb16 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Test.py
> #!/usr/bin/python
> from my_lib import my_function
> class my_class(my_function.name):

Why are you subclassing my_function.name and not just my_function?

>    def __initial__(self, name);
>         pass

The initializer method should be named "__init__", not "__initial__".

>    def test():

You forgot to include "self" as a parameter, like so:
    def test(self):

>       print "this is a test"
>
> If __name__ == '__maim__':

That should be "__main__" with an N, not "__maim__" with an M.
And "if" must be in all-lowercase.

>    my_class.main()

Your class doesn't define any method named "main" (you only defined
test() and __initial__() ), so this call will fail.

> my_lib.py
> class my_function()

You're missing a colon after the parentheses. Also, you're writing a
class, not a function, so please rename the class something less
confusing.

> Can anyone finish above code and let me try to understand
> Class inheritance?
> TIA.

Have you read any Python tutorial? There are several basic errors in
your code which would suggest that you haven't. You really ought to;
it's well worth it.
The Beginner's Guide links to 2 lists of tutorials:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

There's also the python-tutor mailing list, which is specifically
geared towards answering beginner questions:

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://rebertia.com