argparse zero-length switch

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Oct 16 01:14:45 EDT 2011

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:29:40 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> I don't really care for or agree with Steven and Ben Finney's foolish
> consistency.  I already weighed it against the benefits of consistency,
> and decided that this parameter was easily important enough to warrant
> special treatment.  It's actually a good thing for this parameter to
> look different from other switches; it marks it as specially important.

It seems to me that a parameter hardly deserves to be called "specially
important" if it is optional and the user can leave it out. "Specially
unimportant" is probably a better description.

At the end of the day, your claimed motivation for inventing this anti-
mnemonic was, and I quote, "to make it as convenient as possible to enter
the section name". If you honestly think that typing shift-2 is more
convenient than typing -s then go right ahead and do what you like. No
skin off my nose.

--
Steven