[OT] Re: Benefit and belief

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 17 10:34:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:59:04 -0700, DevPlayer wrote:

> As has been said for example does 1+1 = 2. Only in one small
> persepective. Whaa? what wack job says stuff like that? 1+1 = 10. In the
> bigger picture there is more then one numberic base besides decimal,
> such as binary.

That is no more deep and meaningful than the fact that while some people
say "one plus one equals two", others say "eins und eins gleich zwei",
some say "un et un fait deux" and some say "один и один дает два".
Regardless of whether you write two, zwei, два, δυο, 2 (in decimal), 10
(in binary), II (in Roman numerals) or even {0,1} using set theory
notation, the number remains the same, only the symbol we use to label it
is different.

Do not confuse the map for the territory.

--
Steven