Python as a replacement to PL/SQL

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Oct 24 10:45:08 EDT 2011

Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a set of libraries for python which can be used as a complete
> replacement to PL/SQL?

This doesn't make much sense: PL/SQL lets you write server-side code,
i.e., executed by the DBMS. Oracle can't execute python code directly,
so python can only be used on the client side (I meant "client of the
DBMS"), i.e., not to write stored procedures. There is no "complete
replacement" of PL/SQL besides Java.

This page shows you how to _call_ PL/SQL procedures from a python script:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/dsl/python-091105.html

> (I am speaking from the context of Oracle DB, PL/Python only works
> with PostgreSQL)

PL/Python is a different beast, it lets you write stored functions in
python. There is no such thing, afaik, with Oracle.

-- Alain.