Detecting Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Fri Sep 2 06:01:34 EDT 2011

On 01/09/11 17:52, Den wrote:
> Obviously, this is a windows-based question.  I know that Ctrl-Alt-Del
> is handled deep inside the OS, and I'm not trying to interrupt that.
> But is there some way to detect that a C-A-D has been pressed?
>
> Also, is there a corresponding key-sequence in Mac and Linux?  And how
> might one detect those too?

On Linux Ctrl+Alt+Delete is typically configured to reboot the machine
when in console mode. In X11 (graphical), as far as I know, it's no
different than other keys. To catch it globally, you'd probably have to
go through the individual window manager.

As m'colleague Nobody mentions, there's also the SysRq feature, but that
always goes straight to the kernel and is, like Ctrl+Alt+Delete on
Windows, impossible to handle in userspace code.

Thomas