Hello, and request for help with 'dynamic grids'

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Sep 5 06:52:40 EDT 2011

On 05/09/11 20:40, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> It depends on which windowing toolkit you're planning to use. If you use
> PyGTK, you'd want a TreeView widget to display the list. Fill a
> ListStore instance with your data and give that to the TreeView. You can
> implement filtering and sorting on top of that using TreeModelFilter and
> TreeModelSort.

I have look at most. I have no preference.

Are you able to point me to some resource material explaining how this
can be done - e.g. a tutorial or manual?

> LibreOffice and OpenOffice have database management components (I
> haven't used them, I assume they're somewhat similar to MS Access) - and
> they can be scripted using Python. Depending on what you're doing, and
> what you're planning to do in the future (re learning investment), that
> might be worth looking into.

'Base' is of no value in this regard. It is not really designed for this
and there is a raging debate at the moment whether it will be maintained
in the future. It also fails in that it requires predefined connections
and forms to be established. It would not be possible to dynamically
link to a table in a database (I have established ODBC links to a SQLite
database, but the driver is an un-maintained draft). I also believe that
the 'base' component in libreoffice/openoffice is a java implementation
not python.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides