How to structure packages

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:37:44 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
> The Java compiler also acts as a "make" program. If it doesn't find
> a .class file for a needed class, it will search for the corresponding
> .java file and compile that. So to compile a complex program, you only
> need to compile the top-level file (e.g. HelloWorld.java), and it will
> compile everything which is required. No Makefile is needed, as the
> relationship between classes, object files and source files is fixed.

If that's the entire benefit, then I think this is a rather hefty
price to pay for the elimination of a makefile. Oh wow, I can type
"javac MyClass.java" and it picks up all the others! If you're
dividing a project into multiple files already, is it that hard to
have one more that defines the relationships between the others?

Chris Angelico