Idioms combining 'next(items)' and 'for item in items:'

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 10 15:36:42 EDT 2011

Python's iterator protocol for an iterator 'items' allows combinations
of explicit "next(items)" calls with the implicit calls of a "for item
in items:" loop. There are at least three situations in which this can
be useful. (While the code posted here is not testable, being incomplete
or having pseudocode lines, I have tested full examples of each idiom
with 3.2.)

1. Process first item of an iterable separately.

A traditional solution is a flag variable that is tested for each item.

first = True
<other setup>
for item in iterable:
   if first:
     <process first>
     first = False
   else:
     <process non-first>

(I have seen code like this posted on this list several times, including
today.)

Better, to me, is to remove the first item *before* the loop.

items = iter(iterable)
<set up with next(items)
for item in items:
   <process non-first>

Sometimes <other setup> and <process first> can be combined in <setup
with next(items)>. For instance, "result = []" followed by
"result.append(process_first(item))" becomes "result =
[process_first(item)]".

The statement containing the explicit next(items) call can optionally be
wrapped to explicitly handle the case of an empty iterable in whatever
manner is desired.

try:
     <set up with next(items)>
except StopIteration:
     raise ValueError("iterable cannot be empty")

For an iterable known to have a small number of items, the first item
can be removed, with only a small copying penalty, with a simple assignment.

first, *rest = iterable

The older and harder to write version of this requires the iterable to
be a sequence?

first, rest = seq[0], seq[1:]

2. Process the last item of an iterable differently. As far as I know,
this cannot be done for a generic iterable with a flag. It requires a
look ahead.

items = iter(iterable)
current = next(items)
for item in items:
   <process non-last current>
   current = item
<process last current>

To treat both first and last differently, pull off the first before
binding 'current'. Wrap next() calls as desired.

3. Process the items of an iterable in pairs.

items = iter(iterable)
for first in items:
     second = next(items)
     <process first and second>

This time, StopIteration is raised for an odd number of items. Catch and
process as desired. One possibility is to raise ValueError("Iterable
must have an even number of items").

A useful example of just sometimes pairing is iterating a (unicode)
string by code points ('characters') rather than by code units. This
requires combining the surrogate pairs used for supplementary characters
when the units are 16 bits.

chars = iter(string)
for char in chars:
     if is_first_surrogate(char):