help regarding extracting a smaller list from larger one

Gary Herron gherron at digipen.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:25:18 EDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 11:55 AM, neeru K wrote:
> Dear Gary,
> thank you for the reply.
> I will be more specific and take the same example that you have given
> and tell you what is my problem -
> array([0.0, 1.3, 2.45, 3.87, 4.54, 5.11, 6.90, 7.78, 8.23, 9.01])
> from this array I want to a sub-list with lower and upper indexes that
> are not present in the above array for example - sub-list[3, 8]
> Is there a function for this?
> thank you
> niranjan

You say "index", but I think that is not what you mean.  An index is in
integer referring to an element's position in the array.   The "value"
at an index is what I believe you are referring to.

Nevertheless, I think list comprehension is what you want:
     [ x  for x in A  if 3.0 <= x <= 8.0 ]
will extract all the values between 3 and 8 from the array A and create
a new list containing them.

If you want the new list to be a numpy array then
     numpy.array([ x  for x in A  if 3.0 <= x <= 8.0 ])