Turkic I and re

Oktay Safak oktaysafak at superonline.com
Fri Sep 16 08:12:50 EDT 2011

Well, I'm a self taught Turkish python coder. I was bitten by this first
in Python 2.3 and asked the group about it then. You can find the
correspondence by googling "unicode bug in turkish characters?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-April/809637.html>"
There are a couple of posts with that topic line but they don't come out
in one thread. So check them all.

Anyway, to summarize, Martin v.Löwis answered my question back then and
suggested some locale settings but the problem seems to be with Windows
actually. His method worked on Linux, but not on windows. He said that
Python delegates uppercasing of strings to the operating system on
Windows, and Windows is broken there. What he said was:

"Python delegates the toupper call to the operating system. It does not,
in itself, include a database of lower/upper case conversions for all
locales.

So there is nothing we can do about that; ask Microsoft."

So I ended up not asking Microsoft of course, but using [iİ] in re and writing a couple of utility functions upper_tr(), lower_tr() and title_tr() etc to use in my own projects. But of course when foreign language names etc. are mixed in a text it blows but I can't see a way to avoid it when that's the case.

I hope this helps,

Oktay Safak