Numpy.array with dtype works on list of tuples not on list of lists?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:31:58 EDT 2011

On 9/18/11 10:55 AM, Alex van der Spek wrote:
> Why does this not work?

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<pyshell#91>", line 1, in <module>
> arr=numpy.array(dat,dtype=col)
> TypeError: expected a readable buffer object
>>>>

> But this does:

> array([(1.0, 2.0, 3.0), (4.0, 5.0, 6.0)], dtype=[('a', '<f4'), ('b', '<f4'),
> ('c', '<f4')])
>>>>

> The only difference that the object is a list of tuples now?

numpy questions are best asked on the numpy mailing list:

   http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

To answer your question, though, numpy.array() needs to figure out a lot of
different things about the input data simultaneously, in particular its shape.
Structured arrays (i.e. with elements that have individual fields as above) pose
a new problem in that its individual elements are sequences themselves. In order
to help it decide whether it should recurse down into a sequence to find its
elements or decide that the sequence *is* an element in its own right, we
settled on the convention that tuples are to be considered elements and that
lists are sequences of elements.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."