Python 2.5 zlib trouble

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sat Sep 24 19:33:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Jesramz <jesus.ramirez.utexas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed it from here: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.5.6/
>
> What do you think a solution might be?

There is no binary installer on that page. That means you downloaded
the source code and compiled it yourself. Yes, you didn't patch it.
But it's still a self-compiled version of Python.

In order to get zlib in a self-compiled version of Python, you need to
install the appropriate -dev package. From a quick look at the
repository, I think it's zlib1g-dev but I'm not sure.

On Ubuntu, the development headers are in a different package than the
libraries themselves. The development headers aren't needed when
you're installing a binary that someone else compiled (for instance,
anything you get from the package manager) but are needed if you're
trying to build anything that uses the library. Since a good chunk of
the Python stdlib isn't actually necessary to run Python, you can
successfully build Python without getting a good chunk of the modules.
./configure will give you a list of the modules that won't get built
at the end of its output.