Wrote a new library - Comments and suggestions please!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 27 13:33:13 EDT 2011

Robert Kern wrote:

> On 9/27/11 10:24 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
>> I don't work with SAS so I have no reason to invest any time developing
>> for it.
>>
>> Also, as far as I can tell, SAS is far from free or open-source, meaning
>> I definitely am not interested in developing for it.
>
> I don't think he's suggesting that you drop what you are doing in Python
> and start working with SAS. He is suggesting that you look at the similar
> procedures that exist in the SAS standard library for inspiration.

Yeah, inspiration on what *not* to do.

I googled on "SAS PROC FREQ" and found this:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/procstat/63104/HTML/default/procstat_freq_sect006.htm

All the words are in English, but I have no idea what the function does, how
you would call it, and what it returns. Would it have been so hard to show
a couple of examples?

Documentation like that really makes me appreciate the sterling work done on
Python's docs.

This tutorial:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/263-30.pdf

is much clearer.