Installing Python 2.6.7 on Windows

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Sep 28 18:21:25 EDT 2011

In article <4e82a1a1$0$29965$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:32:43 -0700, Wanderer wrote:
> > I need to stay in sink with the rest of the company which is still using
> > 2.6 flavors. There was some investigation into going to Python 3 but not
> > enough of the libraries we use were available. I'll install 2.6.6. I
> > don't think the security stuff really effects me. I think it is strange
> > to release a security update but not really expect people to use it.
>

> More likely the person who builds the Windows installers just hasn't made
> a new release yet.
>
> The Python development team is relatively small and chronically busy: too
> much to do and not enough time to do it. As I understand it, most of them
> use Linux, so I'm afraid that Windows sometimes takes a back seat. (At
> least it's not Mac OS, which is stuck riding in the boot of the car, or
> the other semi-supported OSes, which are on a skateboard desperately
> hanging onto the bumper trying not to be left behind.)

No, it was a deliberate decision.  After a release is in security-fix
mode only, we don't build Windows or Mac OS X installers for them.  The
emphasis is on the actively maintained release branches, currently 3.2.x
and 2.7.x.  If third-party distributors want to support their users with
binary installers, that is of course their option.

"Python 2.6.7 is a security-fix only source release for Python 2.6.6,
fixing several reported security issues. Python 2.6.7 was released on
June 3, 2011.

Python 2.6 is now in security-fix-only mode; no new features are being
added, and no new bug fix releases are planned. We intend to provide
source-only security fixes for the Python 2.6 series until October 2013
(five years after the 2.6 final release). For ongoing maintenance
releases, please see the Python 2.7 series."

http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.7/

(And I think you may be just slightly mischaracterizing the status of
both Mac OS X and Windows support.)

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org