string interpolation for python

Yingjie Lan lanyjie at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 12:02:22 EDT 2012

>>   In that case you should re-think the delimiters, so that you have

>>   something
>>  that can be nested.  An example (example only, I'm not in love with it
> as
>>  a final form):

Haven't really thought about that. Nesting is a big
issue if in the embedded expression, there is another
dynamic string expression. For example (the first
'%' immediately preceding the first quote denotes
the start of a dynamic string expression)::

>>> first_name, family_name = "Peter", "Johns"
>>> %"Hi $ first_name+%", $family_name$" $!"

'Hi Peter, Johns!'

However, nesting is really cluttering things up and
we should forbid it without loosing power:
The above example can be done without nesting:
'Hi Peter, Johns!'

Can you offer an example where nesting is
better or necessary?

Cheers,
Yingjie