Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 10:56:07 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Anybody remember DEC's VAX/VMS "patch" utility?  Apparently, DEC
> thought it was a practical way to fix things.  It had a built-in
> assembler and let you "insert" new code into a function by
> auto-allocating a location for the new code an hooking it into the
> indicated spot with jump instructions.
>
> The mind wobbled.

Not specifically, but I _have_ heard of various systems whose source
code and binary were multiple years divergent. It's actually not a
difficult trap to fall into, especially once you start patching
running systems. I've had quite a few computers that have been unable
to reboot without assistance, because they go for months or years
without ever having to go through that initial program load. (I've had
_programs_ that were unable to load, for the same reason.) But
auto-allocating a new spot for your expanded function? That's just...
awesome. My mind is, indeed, wobbling.

ChrisA