Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 11:16:18 EDT 2012

On 03/04/2012 15:56, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Grant Edwards<invalid at invalid.invalid>  wrote:
>> Anybody remember DEC's VAX/VMS "patch" utility?  Apparently, DEC
>> thought it was a practical way to fix things.  It had a built-in
>> assembler and let you "insert" new code into a function by
>> auto-allocating a location for the new code an hooking it into the
>> indicated spot with jump instructions.
>>
>> The mind wobbled.
>
> Not specifically, but I _have_ heard of various systems whose source
> code and binary were multiple years divergent. It's actually not a
> difficult trap to fall into, especially once you start patching
> running systems. I've had quite a few computers that have been unable
> to reboot without assistance, because they go for months or years
> without ever having to go through that initial program load. (I've had
> _programs_ that were unable to load, for the same reason.) But
> auto-allocating a new spot for your expanded function? That's just...
> awesome. My mind is, indeed, wobbling.
>
> ChrisA

Around 1990 I worked on Telematics kit.  The patches on all their
software were implemented via assembler once the original binary had
been loaded into memory.  They even came up with a system that let you
select which patches you wanted and which you didn't, as e.g. some
patches were customer specific.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.