Python Gotcha's?

mwilson at the-wire.com mwilson at the-wire.com
Fri Apr 6 09:20:42 EDT 2012

Roy Smith wrote:

> In article <jlmaid$hum$1 at dont-email.me>, mwilson at the-wire.com wrote:
>
>> rusi wrote:
>>
>> > Are there languages (other than python) in which single and double
>> > quotes are equivalent?
>>
>> Kernighan and Plauger's RATFOR (a pre-processor that added some C-like
>> syntax to FORTRAN) did that.  Published in their book _Software Tools_.
>
> I used to write a lot of code in RATFOR.  It was really a pretty good
> tool.

ISTR that RATFOR also concatenated adjacent quoted strings to build up long
strings.  That sort of puts the capstone on the two-quote-characters scheme.
I can't lay my hands on the book to prove it.

GE/Honeywell FORTRAN stole the single quote to delimit seek addresses in I/O
statements, so my RATFOR implementations had to lose the two-quote feature
and use a two-for-one scheme, like backslash-escaping and % inclusion in
moduloed strings do in Python.

	Mel.