Python randomly exits with Linux OS error -9 or -15

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Apr 9 06:47:06 EDT 2012

Janis <janis.viksne at gmail.com> writes:

> I have this problem with my script exiting randomly with Linux OS
> status code -9 (most often) or -15 (also sometimes, but much more
> rarely). As far as I understand -9 corresponds to Bad file descriptor
> and -15 Block device required.

How do you get -9 and -15? Exit status is supposed to be between 0 and
127. With bash, 128+N is also used for processes that terminate on a
signal. At the python level, subprocess.wait() uses negative numbers for
signal-terminated processes. And 9 is SIGKILL and 15 is SIGTERM.

My guess is that your script hits a limit, e.g., number of open files,
or stack-size, or... But of course it's only a guess.

-- Alain.