Problem connecting to SMTP/IMAP server using SSL

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Apr 12 08:56:15 EDT 2012

Am 12.04.2012 08:56, schrieb Julien Phalip:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks again for your reply. I've tried using SMTP with TLS. And again
> it works with the VPN turned on but it still won't work with the VPN
> turned off. For some reason I don't understand, it simply won't
> instantiate the SMTP/SMTP_SSL/IMAP4/IMAP4_SSL objects at all and will
> hang forever if the VPN is turned off.

Are you trying to connect to an Exchange server? Several Exchange mobile
clients aren't using IMAP and SMTP but EAS over HTTPS. I have the same
setup at work. The SMTP port is blocked unless I'm at the office or
using VPN.

In your case the connection hangs forever because your office's firewall
drops the network packages instead of sending a reject package. The
client keeps on trying since you haven't configured a timeout.

Christian