Subprocess Startup Error

Clikkeb clikkeb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:05:22 EDT 2012

Dan,

although it's been almost a year since your request, I hope my answer will
help you and anyone who needs.

In order to run properly, IDLE needs that the string returned by
os.path.expanduser("~") is an existent and writable directory, where
IDLE creates the .idlerc configuration file.

>From Python 3.2.2 documentation:
os.path.expanduser(path)

  On Unix and Windows, return the argument with an initial
  component of ~ or ~user replaced by that user‘s home directory.

  On Unix, an initial ~ is replaced by the environment variable
  HOME if it is set; otherwise the current user’s home directory
  is looked up in the password directory through the built-in module
  pwd. An initial ~user is looked up directly in the password directory.

  On Windows, HOME and USERPROFILE will be used if set, otherwise a
  combination of HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE will be used. An initial
  ~user is handled by stripping the last directory component from the
  created user path derived above.

  If the expansion fails or if the path does not begin with a tilde,
  the path is returned unchanged.

So, if you don't want IDLE to raise a connection error, make sure that
HOME, USERPROFILE or the combination of HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE
represent an existent and writable directory.

Best regards.

clikkeb