python module

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 19:43:06 EDT 2012

On 17/04/2012 00:23, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:23:14 +0200, Kiuhnm wrote:
>
>> I'd like to share a module of mine with the Python community. I'd like
>> to encourage bug reports, suggestions, etc... Where should I upload it
>> to?
>>
>> Kiuhnm
>
> PyPI, unofficially known as the cheeseshop, is the semi-official place
> for third-party libraries.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>
> Some people are satisfied with just hosting their library on PyPI, but
> for those who want extras like a mailing list, VCS, a wiki, etc., you may
> find other resources useful:
>
> Google Code Hosting and Github offer distributed version control: Google
> provides mercurial and subversion support, Github provides git support.
>
> Google Code also provides bug tracking and a wiki.
>
> SourceForge is another popular choice.
>
> Google Groups and Yahoo Groups are popular choices for mailing lists.
>
> Or you can manage these extra resources yourself, if you have your own
> server.
>
> Wherever you host the code itself, you should also register it on PyPI.

I'd like to point out that it's frustrating when you find a piece of
code that you'd like to use but neither easy_install nor pip work cos it
can't be found.  Worse still when you want to try a really popular
product like taskcoach, but you can't get it cos some moronic OSes
insist on being case sensitive.  Does that warrant a :) or a :(

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.