How to determine if IO redirection is occurring with the output from a Python program?

Edward d'Auvergne edward at nmr-relax.com
Tue Apr 17 10:21:00 EDT 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of how to detect when IO redirection
of any form is happening within a Python program?  I would like to
emulate the behaviour of the GNU tools (for example the Unix commands
'ls' or 'grep') whereby ascii escape sequences are printed if the
output is solely to the terminal, and in all other cases (redirection
to file via '>', pipes via '|', or more complex redirections) the
ascii escape characters are suppressed.  Any ideas would be
appreciated!

Cheers,

Edward

--
Edward d'Auvergne, PhD
Lead developer of the projects relax, minfx, and bmrblib