Working with Cursors

timlash timlash at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:11:43 EDT 2012

Searched the web and this forum without satisfaction.  Using Python 2.7 and pyODBC on Windows XP I can get the code below to run and generate two cursors from two different databases without problems.  Ideally, I'd then like to join these result cursors thusly:

SELECT a.state, sum(b.Sales) FROM cust_curs a INNER JOIN fin_curs b ON a.Cust_id = b.Cust_id GROUP BY a.state

Is there a way to join cursors using SQL statements in python or pyODBC?  Would I need to store these cursors in a common DB (SQLite3?) to accomplish this?  Is there a pure python data handling approach that would generate this summary from these two cursors?

Thanks for your consideration.

Working code:

import pyodbc

#
# DB2 Financial Data Cursor
#
cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DSN=DB2_Fin;UID=;PWD=')
fin_curs = cnxn.cursor()

fin_curs.execute("""SELECT Cust_id, sum(Sales) as Sales
			FROM Finance.Sales_Tbl
			GROUP BY Cust_id""")

#
# Oracle Customer Data Cursor
#
cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DSN=Ora_Cust;UID=;PWD=')
cust_curs = cnxn.cursor()

cust_curs.execute("""SELECT Distinct Cust_id, gender, address, state
			FROM Customers.Cust_Data""")