inquery

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Wed Apr 18 20:39:14 EDT 2012

On 19/04/12 08:32, Lovda, Kathryn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble trying to script for a fellow graduate student who is
> doing research on frogs and their homeranges. He asked me to help him by
> using python to manipulate his data on ArcMap 10. Here is a summary of
> the situation:
>
> "A fellow graduate student working in the Boone Herpetology lab in the
> Zoology Department has asked you to help him with his research project.
> Specifically he needs to know what land use land cover types the frogs
> he has been studying had within their "homerange" in the early 1990s. He
> has field measurements for current data but he wants historical data on
> what this same area was like in terms of land use land cover (LULC). The
> output you provide to him should be a table that lists the total area of
> each land cover type within ALL frog homeranges in each county. Use the
> data provided to you to write a script that has the desired output that
> your friend needs."
>
> I know that I have to use the JoinField command and the Statistics
> command, but not sure how to formulate the script. Is there anyway you
> can send me a script to work off of? Thanks for your help.
>
> --
>
> Kathryn Lovda
> Miami University IES Graduate Student
> Botany & Environmental Science B.A. Major
> Lovdak at muohio.edu <mailto:Lovdak at muohio.edu>

Kathryn,

This type of work is basic GIS work that should be able to be achieved
without resorting to scripting. That is, achieved through a simple GUI
interface using preconfigured tools. The issue is whether you actually
have land use and land cover data for the 1990s.

Present the same inquiry to an ESRI forum - you would probably have more
chance of a response. If your University does not have the entire ESRI
suite you can download any number of free and open source tools that can
do this work -- e.g. GRASS, gvSIG, QGIS. All you need to do is convert
the ArcMap file to something that can be used by ArcView or by one of
these tools (e.g. shapefile).

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides