Framework for a beginner

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Apr 19 08:02:34 EDT 2012

In article <4f8ff38c$0$1381$4fafbaef at reader1.news.tin.it>,
 Kiuhnm <kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it> wrote:

> I don't like when a community imposes style on a programmer. For
> instance, many told me that I shouldn't use camelCase and I should
> adhere to PEP8.
> Well, that's not me. I write my code the way I like it and if that is
> frowned upon by some "standardizing" community, so be it.
> I want to retain my freedom of expression.

Freedom of expression is fine, until you have to work in a big group.
The more everybody uses the same style, the easier it is for everybody
to understand everybody else's code.

There's another nice thing about PEP-8, or at least about the concept of
an official global style.  I've been in groups where a huge amount of
time has been wasted arguing about style.  In my current gig, when it
came time to decide on a style, the conversation went something like one
person suggesting we just use PEP-8 and everybody else nodding in
agreement.  In 2 minutes, we saved many person-months of arguing.