Framework for a beginner

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:29:14 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-19, Kiuhnm <kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it> wrote:
> I don't like when a community imposes style on a programmer.
> For instance, many told me that I shouldn't use camelCase and I
> should adhere to PEP8.
>
> Well, that's not me. I write my code the way I like it and if
> that is frowned upon by some "standardizing" community, so be
> it. I want to retain my freedom of expression.

"Choose a reasonable style, preferably ours, and stick with it."
  --Brian Kernighan and Bob Pike, The Practice of Programming

On the other hand, if you're writing Python code that will
comprise the standard library, then, "Stick with it," means,
"Follow PEP8."

Adopting PEP8 for all Python code (something PEP8 does not call
for) supports the Python community by making your code more
digestible to the general Python user. So when you receive that
advice, it is not meant to make your code better, but to increase
your code's fidelity within the Python community.

--
Neil Cerutti