Framework for a beginner

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 09:12:33 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  that's what i meant about beauty and elegance.  the "bang per buck"
> ratio in python, results obtained for the number of characters used,
> is higher, and that's something that i personally find to be a
> priority over speed.

Number of characters isn't the sole metric; number of "thought units"
is closer - well-known keywords are usually one thought unit each, and
sometimes larger tokens than that. But yes, concise syntax is of
value.

>  another example of the compactness of python is kicking around
> somewhere, i wish i could remember where it is.  it compares scheme
> with python and java.  scheme does this amazing programming "thing" in
> a single operator, expressed in 3 characters.  python manages the same
> thing in about 10, and java requires *six* lines!

Big deal. I could doubtless show you something in REXX that does in
one line what will take quite a few lines in Python, and it'd probably
involve the PARSE statement or possibly SysSetObjectData. Doesn't
prove a thing.

ChrisA