How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at
Sat Aug 18 17:25:47 CEST 2012

On 18/08/2012 16:07, wxjmfauth at wrote:
> Le samedi 18 août 2012 14:27:23 UTC+2, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
>> [...]
>> The problem with UCS-4 is that every character requires four bytes.
>> [...]
> I'm aware of this (and all the blah blah blah you are
> explaining). This always the same song. Memory.
> Let me ask. Is Python an 'american" product for us-users
> or is it a tool for everybody [*]?
> Is there any reason why non ascii users are somehow penalized
> compared to ascii users?
> This flexible string representation is a regression (ascii users
> or not).
> I recognize in practice the real impact is for many users
> closed to zero (including me) but I have shown (I think) that
> this flexible representation is, by design, not as optimal
> as it is supposed to be. This is in my mind the relevant point.
> [*] This not even true, if we consider the €uro currency
> symbol used all around the world (banking, accounting
> applications).
> jmf

Sorry but you've got me completely baffled.  Could you please explain in
words of one syllable or less so I can attempt to grasp what the hell
you're on about?

Mark Lawrence.