python 6 compilation failure on RHEL

Dan Stromberg drsalists at
Tue Aug 21 00:43:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at> wrote:

> I was going to chime in with this anyway had the thread said nothing; I
> strongly prefer to specify --prefix explicitly with configure.
> My personal habit to to build with (adjust to match):
>   --prefix=/usr/local/python-2.6.4
> and put some symlinks in /usr/local/bin afterwards (python2.6, etc).
> That way one doesn't tread on the system Python (after all the OS vendor
> distro is also a collection of packages with coordinated versions)
> and one can easily put in another python beside it.

I like to build a bunch of representative python versions, and test code on
some subset of them - often all of them.  I usually do 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0,
3.1, 3.2 and 3.3, but sometimes I get more specific than that.  I'll also
do a couple of jython's and pypy's normally.

It's remarkable how revealing such a simple thing can be for portability.