Second try: non-blocking subprocess pipe and Tkinter in 2.7

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Fri Dec 21 16:52:05 CET 2012

Yesterday I posted a question about keeping a Tkinter GUI during a
long-running process, i.e. reading data from a pipe via the subprocess
module. I think that question did not quite get at the heart of the
issue because it assumed that Python, like Tcl which underlies Tkinter,
supports non-blocking, asynchronous reading out of the box. Apparently
it does not.

So, my question is hereby revised as such: how can I implement a
non-blocking read of a subprocess pipe that can write data to the
Tkinter text widget in an manner that does not cause the GUI to lock up?

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin