configobj

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 05:34:23 EST 2012

On 02/01/2012 12:21 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 1/31/2012 11:06 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
>> I have a couple of questions about configobj, which I'm happily trying
>> to use for this project.
>
> When asking about 3rd party modules, please include a url, so we can
> be sure of what you mean and even take a look. Is
> www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html
> what you mean?

Yes I meant that sorry.

>> which looked less complete and more cumbersome (to me at least)
>
> Does ConfigParser have the same problems you found with ConfigObj.

Well no, but also because it just gets raw strings, and doesn't do any
validation.
With ConfigObj I can do simply a spec file

skip_pesky_pyc_paths = string_list
include_extra_paths = string_list
use_real_dependencies = bool(default=False)
compute_dependencies_recursively = bool(default=False)

And the options which are not declared will default automatically to
that value.
And also I never really liked the ConfigParser API..

Anyway I solved just leaving these long lists somewhere else, but otherwise
I think a better solution would be YAML in general (which doesn't have
much validation either
apparently).