copy on write

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Feb 3 04:08:19 EST 2012

On 02/03/2012 06:04 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Ultimately, there is no right answer, because the multitude of
> requirements are contradictory. No matter what Python did, somebody would
> complain.
Which makes me wonder why it was introduced at all, or at least so fast
If you see the difference in speed in introducing augmented assignment
vs how long it took to get conditional expression I start thinking of a
bikeshed. In the first case we have something that raises semantic
questions that are difficult to resolve, in the second case the
semantics were clear, the big problem that delayed introduction was what
syntax to use.

But the second took a lot longer to become part of the language than the
first, which seems very odd to me.

--
Antoon Pardon