convert perl-script for voltcraft voltmeter to python [newbie]

Jean Dupont jeandupont115 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:44:40 EST 2012

On 7 feb, 05:21, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 2/2/2012 3:57 PM, Jean Dupont wrote:
>
> > I'd like to read in the output of a voltcraft vc960 voltmeter
> > connected to a usb-port.
> > I found the perl-script below but I'd like to accomplish the same with
> > python:
>
> The script below is for an old-fashioned, slow, multiple-pin serial
> port, not usb. I don't know anything about interfacing through usb.
> Recheck what the voltmeter actually connects to.
The voltmeter uses an optical rs232-connection, that is "good enough
technology" for this purpose. But as I don't have a computer with real
rs232 ports I use a rs232toUSB adapter which presents itself to the
linux-computer as /dev/ttyUSBx.

> > I guess I have to use the module serial but I don't know how I should
> > set the serial parameters so they are the same as in the perl-script.
> > Could someone supply me the command for setting the serial-parameters
> > correctly in Python?
>
> Last I know, pyserial is also for old serial ports. Setting the
> properties should be pretty obvious from the manual or code.

It is not so obvious as you might think, one reason being the
handshake line(s?) are used in an unconvential way to supply power to
the rs232-optical interface
> There are also python usb modules.http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/?source=directory
I followed this link but all I found was something concerning
mysql...???

anyway, thanks for trying to help

Jean