Reading files in from the proper directory

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Tue Feb 7 14:46:42 EST 2012

In <f3f576e8-e608-4348-b6ee-fe775d9d1021 at x19g2000yqh.googlegroups.com> SMac2347 at comcast.net writes:

> Am I correct in thinking that I need to change the current working
> directory to this folder in order for Python to read in these files,
> then generate my output?

You don't have to do it that way, no.

In general, when opening a file, you can do it two ways: Either provide
a full pathname, or provide a relative pathname.

If you provide a full pathname (for example "/usr/home/smith/myfile.txt"),
that file will be opened and it does not matter what the current working
directory is.

If you provide a relative pathname (for example "myfile.txt"), python
will attempt to open that file starting from the current working dir.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears