Read-only attribute in module

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:29:36 EST 2012

On 2/10/2012 6:11 AM, mloskot wrote:

> The intent of xyz.flag is that it is a value set by the module internally.
> xyz is a module wrapping a C library.
> The C library defines concept of a global flag set by the C functions at
> some events,
> so user can check value of this flag.
> I can provide access to it with function: xyz.get_flag()

If the value of the flag can change during a run, I would do that.
Otherwise, you have to make sure the local copy keeps in sync. Users
might also think that it is a true constant that they could read once.

I understand that you might be concerned that one person in a
multi-programmer project might decide to rebind xyz.flag and mess up
everyone else. I think the real solution might be an option to freeze an
entire module.

--
Terry Jan Reedy