Python usage numbers

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 06:11:30 EST 2012

On 2/12/2012 3:12 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> NTFS by default uses the UTF-16 encoding, which means the actual bytes
> written to disk are \x1d\x040\x04\xe5\x042\x04 (possibly with a leading
> byte-order mark \xff\xfe).
That's what I meant. Those bytes will be interpreted consistently across
all locales.

> Windows has two separate APIs, one for "wide" characters, the other for
> single bytes. Depending on which one you use, the directory will appear
> to be called Наӥв or 0å2.
Yes, and AFAIK, the wide API is the default. The other one only exists
to support programs that don't support the wide API (generally, such
programs were intended to be used on older platforms that lack that API).

> But in any case, we're not talking about the file name encoding. We're
> talking about the contents of files.
Okay then. As I stated, this has nothing to do with the OS since
programs are free to interpret bytes any way they like.

--
CPython 3.2.2 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17640