How do you Unicode proponents type your non-ASCII characters? (was: Python usage numbers)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 12 17:43:52 EST 2012

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 12, 10:51 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
> +comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > Pardon me, but you can't even write *English* in ASCII.
> >
> > You can't say that it cost you £10 to courier your résumé to the head
> > office of Encyclopædia Britanica to apply for the position of Staff
> > Coördinator. (Admittedly, the umlaut on the second "o" looks a bit stuffy
> > and old-fashioned, but it is traditional English.)
> >
> > Hell, you can't even write in *American*: you can't say that the recipe
> > for the 20¢ WobblyBurger™ is © 2012 WobblyBurgerWorld Inc.
>
> [Quite OT but...] How do you type all this?

In GNU+Linux, I run the IBus daemon to manage different keyboard input
methods across all my applications consistently. That makes hundreds of
language-specific input methods available, and also many that are not
language-specific.

It's useful if I want to 英語の書面を書き中 type a passage of Japanese
with the ‘anthy’ input method, or likewise for any of the other
available language-specific input methods.

I normally have IBus presenting the ‘rfc1345’ input method. That makes
just about all keys input the corresponding character just as if no
input method were active. But when I type ‘&’ followed by a two- or
three-key sequence, it inputs the corresponding character from the
RFC 1345 mnemonics table:

    & → &
    P d → £
    e ' → é
    a e → æ
    o : → ö
    C t → ¢
    T M → ™
    C o → ©
    " 6 → “
    " 9 → ”
    …

Those same characters are also available with the ‘latex’ input method,
if I'm familiar with LaTeX character entity names. (I'm not.)

--
 \           “If [a technology company] has confidence in their future |
  `\      ability to innovate, the importance they place on protecting |