Python usage numbers

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 12 17:56:32 EST 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 08:50:28 -0800, rusi wrote:

>> You can't say that it cost you £10 to courier your résumé to the head
>> office of Encyclopædia Britanica to apply for the position of Staff
>> Coördinator. (Admittedly, the umlaut on the second "o" looks a bit
>> stuffy and old-fashioned, but it is traditional English.)
>>
>> Hell, you can't even write in *American*: you can't say that the recipe
>> for the 20¢ WobblyBurger™ is © 2012 WobblyBurgerWorld Inc.
>
> [Quite OT but...] How do you type all this? [Note: I grew up on APL so
> unlike Rick I am genuinely asking :-) ]

In my case, I used the KDE application "KCharSelect". I manually hunt
through the tables for the character I want (which sucks), click on the
characters I want, and copy and paste them into my editor.

Back in Ancient Days when I ran Mac OS 6, I had memorised many keyboard
shortcuts for these things. Option-4 was the pound sign, I believe, and
Option-Shift-4 the cent sign. Or perhaps the other way around?

--
Steven